Saturday 4 July 2015

An Interview With Gary Gibson 

Gary Gibson is a world famous John Lennon tribute act. 
His likeness to him as even prompted some people to add 
videos of him on YouTube with captions like 'John lennon's alive'
and so on. 
 How did you get into being a Lennon tribute act and when did you start?
In 1990,when I started combing my hair down "Beatle" Style
And you were on Stars in their eyes what was that like?
You mean did I like "Stars in Their Eyes Show?" one word NO!
have you got any stories about it that you could share? and why you didn't 
like it?
Because as the filming went on through the day and night ,I realized the 
show was "fixed"
Have you been on any other shows? or did that put you off for good?
ive been on shows all over the world, I did "shite stars in your eyes" just to get my

face on tv again! The people at Granada tv were absolute assholes! 

The only thing nice about it was meeting "host" Leslie Crowther!
and out of all of those shows you have done what one was the one you 
enjoyed the most?
"Pebble Mill at One" celebrating 30 of "A Hard Days Night" on the show was 
George Martin and Victor Spinetti!
That 30 years of A Hard Days Night filmId met Victor a few times he 

always cried on my shoulder everytime, he was a great friend of Johns 

and he said " first time I saw you Gary,i nearly had a fucking heart attack!"

have you ever spoken to a Beatle or anyone else closely connected to them??

lots of them! but only Beatle I met was "Paul"

and what was that like?
ok here goes! Lawrence Gilmore is a Macca tribute who played with me in my 
"Anthology of the Beatles" theater show ,he was Pauls double in the boat I getting wet 
through rowing in a McCartney video/song. On meeting Paul in his trailer during a break,he took 
with him a violin Bass, Paul said " Can you play that Lawrence?" so Lawrence played 
"All my Loving" bass line.[ which I had already told him was wrong! he was playing open 
strings and I showed him the right way to play it [up the neck] he was crap on bass!] but he 
didn't take any notice and played it [his way!]Paul took the Bass of him and said "No Lawrence 
it goes like this!" [right handed!] Then Lawrence said "That's the way Gary showed me!" 
to which Paul replied "Gary Gibson?, . .the man people say is the best John Lennon in 
the World?" Lawrence said " Oh! Yeah!" then Paul said "But is He?" [move forward 3 years 
to Pauls Albert Dock gig 2003] I was at the backstage /after show party,the Marquee 
was sectioned off McCartney Family one side ,friends and v.i.p.s the other. A few of 
Maccas family came through to our side and asked " What are you doing this side Gary? 
Come and meet Paul!" but the security wouldn't allow me.Then at about 3am Paul walked 
through to ask the d.j who was in our side for a request.I stuck my hand out and shaking his 
hand said "Hi! Paul Gary Gibson!" His head went back in shock! and he was trembling! 
Then I said "Hey Paul! But is He?" He held both hands up and said "Yeah! Gary!"

 And now onto some thing off the Beatles. you worked as a jockey? how did 
you get into that? and how many years did you do that?
When I left school [expelled] in 1970 I was 7st 7lbs so went off to Charlie Halls 
racing yard in towton Yorkshire I lied ,I said I could ride to get the job,but couldn't! 
After a few days I was riding on the gallops [a pure natural!] I was told I was going to be 
too heavy for the [flat]  so why not ride over jumps [10 stone] tried it ,thought it 
was too dangerous so I left ,and went into music instead! move on to 1999 and The 
Racing Legend Lester Piggott trained me to race-ride properly at Newmarket 
Racing museum on an equisizer [mechanical horse] [I had played for Lesters 
Daughter wedding to William Haggis in 1988 and we had kept in touch] I 
bought a racehorse "Maron] and held a jockeys license for 10 years,didnt win,
but came 2nd and 3rd !
And would you ever own a horse again? not to race but just to ride?
I wouldn't ride Race horses again too dangerous ! its not just the racecourse,its all the 
barmy ones you have to ride on the gallops in training ,that goes with it! very very scary! 
I would own one again ,if I came into big money! and have it trained by one of my 
"rACE hORSE tRAINER" BUDDIES!
ID RIDE COWBOY STYLE WHICH I DID CAMPING/RIDING OUT IN ARIZONA A 
FEW YEARS AGO!






No comments:

Post a Comment