Friday 14 August 2015

John Lennon On Acid

 John has been documented as taking drugs all his adult 
life even going back to Hamburg and Liverpool before Beatlemania 
really hit in and before the flower power days of acid and double meaning
 songs. When he started taking the mind 
bending and psychedelic drug LSD it caused his music style and appearance  
to change in a major way. His first time doing the drug was sometime 
before July 1965 when he was given it by his dentist John Riley. 
John went on to say about this experience.
"He laid it on George, me and our 
wives without telling us at a dinner party at his house. 
He was a friend of George's, and our dentist at 
the time. He just put it in our coffee or something. He 
didn't know what it was, it was just, 'It's all 
the thing,' with the middle-class London swingers. They had all 
heard about it and didn't know it was 
different from pot or pills. And they gave it to us, and he was 
saying, 'I advise you not to leave,' and 
we thought he was trying to keep us for an orgy in his house and we 
didn't want to know!" 

Its said that John was truly living on the stuff at 
one point! He even got two giant jars of the stuff made 
as pure as it could be just for him! storing the jars in full eye sight 
in his sun room (or so i have heard)
After spending months as high as a kite and John trying hard to 
diminish his ego by taking the drug, he put
his declining use of LSD down to the fact he was having to many 
'BAD TRIPS' but the real reason may very 
well have been that he was using the drug so much that it was losing 
its effect on him. He talked about his bad trips saying 
"I had many. Jesus Christ. I stopped taking it 
'cause of that. I mean I just couldn't stand 
it. I dropped it for I don't know how long. Then I started taking it 
just before I met Yoko. I got a message 
on acid that you should destroy your ego, and I did. I was reading 
that stupid book of Leary's and all that 
shit. We were going through a whole game that everybody went 
through. And I destroyed meself. I was slowly  putting meself 
together after Maharishi, bit by bit, over a two-year period. 
And then I destroyed me ego and I didn't believe I could 
do anything. I let Paul do what he wanted and say, them all 
just do what they wanted. And I just was nothing, I was shit. 
And then Derek [Taylor] tripped me out at his house after he'd 
got back from LA. He said, 'You're alright.' And he pointed 
out which songs I'd written, and said, 'You 
wrote this, and you said this, and you are intelligent, don't 
be frightened.' The next week I went down with 
Yoko and we tripped out again, and she freed me completely,
 to realise that I was me and it's alright. And 
that was it. I started fighting again and being a loud-mouth 
again and saying, 'Well, I can do this,' and 
'Fuck you, and this is what I want,' and 'Don't put me down. I did this."

No comments:

Post a Comment